Fire guts Nigerian university female hostel

A female hostel belonging to the state-owned Bayelsa Medical University (BMU) has been gutted by fire.

According to reports, the fire incident started at about 6:40 am on Tuesday, July 5, 2023, and was caused by an electrical spark while a student was ironing her clothes.

The flames were said to have been quickly spread, causing a state of alarm among the residents.

Personnel from the Federal and Bayelsa State Fire Services promptly responded to the emergency and successfully prevented the fire from spreading to other rooms in the block.

The Vice Chancellor of the institution, Prof. Ebitimitula Etebu, and the Chief Security Officer, Phillip Diete-Spiff, expressed their appreciation to the fire service officials for their swift response to the emergency.

Prof. Ebitimitula Etebu, the Vice Chancellor of the State Medical University, and Phillip Diete-Spiff, the Chief Security Officer, expressed their heartfelt appreciation to the fire service officials for their efficient and timely intervention.

There were no casualties or physical injuries reported among the students. However, the fire destroyed personal belongings belonging to the occupants of the affected rooms.